Oh friend - you have no idea how fun oils are. The more you crack open that bottle, the more you will experience the life changing power that this plant medicine has. You likely have already figured out that peppermint is amazing to wake you and lavender is all things calming, but I have some fun, out of the box life hacks to share that you will want to try! You can do all of these hacks using only your dōTERRA starter kit!
1. De-gunk sticky residues and BUST stains using Lemon oil! This tasty oil is a powerful cleanser for the home and the inside of our bodies. However, it is also the oil I reach for most often in the kitchen to make dressings, boost lemon flavor in recipes, take out stains, and when I encounter sticky residue. Lemon can remove gum (even in hair) sticky price tags, paint on the skin, and grease or sap covered hands. This is the best oil for a mechanic or someone who works on machines all day! Apply a drop straight from the bottle to stains and soak in cold water. When cooking with oils, it's best to add them at the end of cooking to preserve as much of the flavor and health benefits.
2. Perk up your day and soothe tummy or head aches with Peppermint. Peppermint is one of the most versatile oils and a special favorite around holidays. I use a 1/2 drop on my thumb (just tip the bottle up on your thumb) and press it to the roof of your mouth to open the sinuses, freshen breath, and wake up your brain. If you have a headache, the thumb press may have been enough to address it. If not, simply apply a drop to your finger tips and massage onto the area where your tension is presenting take care not to get it in your eyes. If you do, remember to "rinse" the essential oil away with a little carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil, not water.
3. Use Lavender to sleep and soothe burns. Lavender is gentle, calming and known for supporting good sleep. However, this is an oil I always want to have on hand when we are cooking or when our pup has a skin irritation. Lavender will soothe a burn or cut in seconds, reducing redness, preventing a blister, and best of all, it relieves the pain almost immediately. You can drop the oil directly on the burn and apply as often as needed. This is ideal when you can’t keep your aloe vera plant alive. It’s more effective too!
4. Use OnGuard blend to support your immunity and clean your sheets: On Guard is our go to for immune support and prevention, of course. This blend of wild orange, clove, cinnamon, rosemary, and eucalyptus oil packs a powerful boost to our immune system. I take 2 drops of onGuard + 2 drops of lemon oil + 1 tsp each of honey and apple cider vinegar and fill my mug with hot water for a yummy morning immunity tea. In our house, we diffuse a few drops to cleanse and freshen the air as well and you can always find a bottle in the laundry room too. A drop of on guard is amazing for stains, specifically blood. Apply a drop straight from the bottle to the stain (even if it is old or already dried on) and soak in super cold water for a few hours. I add ice as well to get the water extra cold. This has saved our white sheets countless times as our pup is prone to cuts on the paws particularly in the winter.
5. Preventing cold-sores & acne: Life Hack number 5 uses two or three of the starter kit oils, frankincense, lavender, and tea tree. These oils have a vast variety of uses, but clearing up problematic skin issues is one that people thank me for over and over. Acne can be brutal at any age, and having oils to reduce redness, inflammation, scarring, and healing time can be a game changer. Apply a drop of #teatree and a drop of lavender at the first tingle or itchy feeling. You can speed up the healing with an extra drop of frankincense directly on top of the area of concern. This will work if the sore or blemish is below the surface or has already presented and now needs to heal. If cold-sores are a recurring issue for you, consider adding Life-Long Vitality supplements and the morning immunity tea (recipe above) to your daily health regime.
Bonus tip! If you or your partner snore - use your Easy Air ™ oil diluted with carrier oil and apply right under your nostrils and on the bridge of your nose before bed. This blend opens airways and supports clear breathing and in turn, supports great sleep.
You’re welcome! Until next time, my friends, I hope you're celebrating the natural beauty of the season.